2016/10/12

Butterfly Show at Carleton University

I went to the butterfly show at Carleton University last week.  Learning from my experience two years ago, I went there first thing in the morning so that I did not have to wait in-line or be surrounded by loud people.  Sadly, I was there for only 15 minutes before schoolchildren started to pile into the greenhouse.

2016-10-05-PA050041
Poster

I brought only my macro lens and small flash with me, and I tried to note as many of the butterfly species I photographed as possible.

Emerald Swallowtail (Papilio palinurus)
Emerald Swallowtail (Papilio palinurus)

Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides)
Blue Morpho (Morpho peleides)

Tree Nymph (Idea leuconoe)
Tree Nymph Butterfly (Idea leuconoe)

Owl Butterfly (Caligo eurilochus)
Owl Butterfly (Caligo eurilochus)

Green-Spotted Triangle (Graphium agamemnon)
Green-Spotted Triangle Butterfly (Graphium agamemnon)

I am not sure if these next three butterflies are all Postman Butterfly (Heliconius melpomene) with large variation between individuals or something entirely different.

2016-10-05-PA050039

Postman (Heliconius melpomene)

Postman (Heliconius melpomene)

After that, I walked back to my apartment (about 30 minutes from Carleton University) through Fletcher Wildlife Garden where I saw this bumblebee (Bombus sp.) moving sluggishly and visiting flowers.

Bumblebee (Bombus sp.)

1 comment:

Tim said...

That owl butterfly is in the perfect orientation for looking owl-like!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...