2016/07/19

July update - Conundrum Hot Springs (July 15 - 16)

For my final hiking trip of the season, I wanted to go somewhere farther and a bit more strenuous.  I decided to hike from Gothic to Conundrum Hot Springs via Triangle Pass.  I invited my friend to come with me, and we left Gothic early in the morning and headed towards Copper Lake.  Before we get to Copper Lake, the trail splits into two and one directs us towards Triangle Pass.

View from Triangle Pass
View from Triangle Pass

Along the trail towards Triangle Pass, there were several areas still covered by snow which made the crossing very difficult and treacherous.  I actually slid down a snowy patch (with a full pack) and may have hurt my knee in the process.

View from Triangle Pass
Almost at the top of Triangle Pass.  If you look closely, you can see the trail along the mountain side and snow covering parts of the trail.

View from Triangle Pass
The snowy patch above the pond was where I slid down the slope.  Thankfully, I stopped in a short distance and did not hit any rocks or went into the water.

View from Triangle Pass
View from top of Triangle Pass.

Walking along trail #1981
Once we went over Triangle Pass, the trail is pretty much all downhill there.

Walking along trail #1981
The trail is beautiful with colourful wildflowers on both sides.

Magnificent wildflowers
Wildflowers!

2016-07-16-P7160255

Magnificent wildflowers
More wildflowers!

Magnificent wildflowers
Rosy Paintbrush (Castilleja rhexiifolia)

Parry's Primrose (Primula parryi)
Parry's Primrose (Primula parryi)

Parry's Primrose (Primula parryi)

Scarlet Paintbrush (Castilleja miniata)
Scarlet Paintbrush (Castilleja miniata)

Rose Paintbrush (Castilleja rhexiifolia)
Another Rosy Paintbrush.

Elephant Heads (Pedicularis groenlandica)
And one of my favourite plants - Elephant Heads (Pedicularis groenlandica)!



Valley toward Conundrum Hot Springs
View as we got closer to Conundrum.

Valley toward Conundrum Hot Springs

Triangle Pass in the distance
Looking back at Triangle Pass.

2016-07-16-P7160194

2016-07-15-P7150179
Map of campsites.  This is a very popular hiking destination, so finding a campsite can be difficult especially during weekends.

2016-07-15-P7150164
My friend and I luckily found an empty campsite at site 14.

2016-07-15-P7150183
People hiking to the hot springs and looking for campsites.  Because there were many people at the hot spring and clothing is optional, I did not take any pictures from there.

2016-07-16-P7160187
View from our campsite the following morning.

We hiked back to Gothic the second day, but before doing that, we stopped at Copper Lake for a quick swim and lunch.

Copper Lake
Copper Lake.

An amazing ending to my field seasons here in Colorado.  I will treasure this memory forever.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...