2016/05/18

Exploring McCarthy Woods for new warbler lifers!

Yesterday I came across this blogger's post about all the interesting birds found in McCarthy Woods and nearby areas.  So today, I went there to look for them myself.

White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
McCarthy Woods is quite beautiful this time of the year where the White Trilliums (Trillium grandiflorum) dominate the forest floor.

White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
I am a bit late this year and some of the flowers are starting to turn red already.

White Trilliums (Trillium grandiflorum)
What the forest floor looks like.

To look for warblers, I must pay attention to any movement near the treetop.  The first thing I noticed was a bird moving up on a tree trunk.  Initially I thought it was a Brown Creeper, but it had more distinct patterns on its face and body.

2016-05-18-P5180046
Now I am pretty certain this was a female Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia).  Lifer #1.

2016-05-18-P5180049
Hopping up a tree.

2016-05-18-P5180152
As I walked through the woods, I noticed a plump bird flying away and hiding in the canopy.

Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)
The crown stripe marked it as an Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla).  Lifer #2.  Since I don't actively seek out warblers, there are still many warblers that I have not seen before.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)
I found a small trail on the other side of McCarthy Road, and the first bird I saw was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula).  First of the year!

2016-05-18-P5180229
I saw this bumblebee-like fly, which I think was a Eristalis flavipes.

2016-05-18-P5180235
Male American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)

2016-05-18-P5180238
Female Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater) - another first of the year.

2016-05-18-P5180244
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis) singing away.

Field Pussytoes (Antennaria neglecta)
A field of Field Pussytoes (Antennaria neglecta).

A pretty good outing considering I was there for less than two hours.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...