2016/04/14

Who is ready for Spring? Flowers, birds, and I.

Knowing that I was already two days behind in my "annual spring check-up at the Arboretum" (see my 2014 and 2015 posts) because of my busy work schedule, I decided to finish work earlier today so that I can go find the flowers afterwards.

The flowers seemed to bloom right on the calendar date (regardless of the type of winter we had) and when I got there this afternoon, most of the flowers appear pretty old already.  Sadly, there were no pollinators visiting the flowers.

Crocus sp.
This was the best image of the blooming Crocus sp. that I photographed.

Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)
Ever since I learned how to identify Pine Siskins (Spinus pinus) a couple of weeks ago (because a labmate asked me about them), I have been hearing them all the time now (especially the sharp, upsweeping zreeeeeeet call).

2016-04-14-P4140168
I came across several siskins foraging for food from the tree bark.

Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)
One rare individual being still for more than a few seconds.

Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)
I accidentally got a relatively sharp image of this individual on the top left corner of the photo.  Here is the cropped version.  Not too bad.

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)

Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)
Love the colours on this handsome Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus).

2016-04-14-P4140121
A Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) made a brief appearance.

Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)
Saw my first Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) of the year under the FWG feeder.

Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus)
An Eastern chipmunk (Tamias striatus) enjoying feeder food.

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

2016-04-14-P4140241
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
An European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris), a pretty bird no matter no common it is.

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)
While walking around the FWG, I came across this Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea) looking around nervously.

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)
The bird's nervousness was not due to my presence, and so I kept photographing it.

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)
With its crown raised, a warning behaviour perhaps?

Common Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)
It wasn't after photographing this redpoll that I realized there was a weasel moving around underneath where the redpoll was.  It must be the reason of the redpoll's vigilance.

Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)
Saw another siskin singing away.

Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)
As I had my fill of bird-watching of the day, I saw several siskins and this American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) on a willow tree.  Quite cute to see a yellow ball of feathers among many fluffy-looking willow catkins.

So happy that Spring is finally here!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...