2016/02/26

Assorted photos in February

Here are some photos I took the past several days.

The Rideau Canal Skateway officially closed for the season yesterday and ended the shortest season on record (18 days).  Thankfully I got a chance to spend some time (walking) on the canal last Friday and to test my new lens.

Skater on Rideau


Skaters on Rideau

Skaters on Rideau

Skaters on Rideau
Trying the panning technique.  It is much more successful with a native lens on the camera.

Skater on Rideau
This friendly man saw me taking his photo and gave me a thumb-up afterwards.  Too bad I didn't capture the moment.

And the main reason I got this new lens is to take macro photos of insects and plants, which is hard to do during the winter.  Instead, I took a photo of this dead shield bug I found a couple of months ago.

Hemiptera from Ottawa
Hemiptera from Ottawa.

My friend brought his insect collection (from Argentina, USA, and Canada) to school this week, so I took the opportunity and photographed some of his insects as well.

Male rhino beetle (Diloboderus abderus) from Argentina
Male rhino beetle (Diloboderus abderus).

Long-horn beetle (Family Cerambycidae) from Argentina
Unknown Long-horn beetle in the Family Cerambycidae.

Long-horn beetle (Family Cerambycidae) from Argentina
Close-up on the head.

Long-horn beetle (Family Cerambycidae) from Argentina
So hairy!

Today is my birthday and so I went to the Arboretum and Fletcher Wildlife Garden hoping to get my birthday wish - seeing an owl.

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
And of course my unfortunate trend continues, and all I ended up photographing were chickadees and juncos by the bird feeder.  I am not feeling really lucky lately.

Helical Staircase
Afterwards, I went to MacOdrum Library at Carleton University to find and photograph this cool helical staircase that I have seen online.

Helical Staircase
This is so far the most interesting and photogenic staircase in Ottawa.  Photographing this staircase made my day much better.

 Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...