2015/05/21

Wildlife wonder at Gunnison National Forest

No, this is not another post about poor weather conditions forcing me to update my blog.  In fact, the weather was so decent yesterday and most of today (until late afternoon) that many wildlife seemed to come out of their shelter and enjoy the good weather.

Yesterday, we went to Kebler Pass which was still under at least a couple feet of snow, so I helped out with the bee nest-box checking again.  While walking to the site, I accidentally spooked a grouse and it flew high up onto a tree.

Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus)
Dusky Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) high up on a tree.


2015-05-20-P5200020
I didn't see any bees inside the nesting straws.  Instead, I found several flies still in hiding.

On the drive back to Gothic, we saw this Yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris) on the side of the road minding its own business.

Yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris)

Yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris)
Scratching its head.

Yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris)

Yellow-bellied marmot (Marmota flaviventris)

After a quick lunch, I headed out to my study site to work on my own project.  While measuring flower temperatures, the Gray Jays appeared again.

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Beautiful bird.

2015-05-20-P5200082
With Gothic Mountain as the backdrop.

2015-05-20-P5200109
Taking off!

2015-05-20-Gray Jay
Picking a worm off the ground.

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Posing for more photos.

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)

In the evening, while returning back to my cabin for dinner, I saw this North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum) hanging outside one of the buildings.

North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum)

North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum)
I decided to follow it, and instead of heading to the forest, the porcupine went to another building.
 
2015-05-20-P5200019
And then it got itself cornered at the entrance with bikes all around it.  I decided to leave the poor creature be.  An hour later, it wasn't there anymore.

The Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (Selasphorus platycercus) have recently returned back to Gothic and everywhere you go, you can hear the sound of their flight. 

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus)
On the way to my field site this morning, I saw this hummingbird perched nicely on a branch.  I decided to take some pictures of it.

Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus)

And then I decided to film it, which allowed me to document its interaction with another hummingbird invading its territory.

Broad-tailed Hummingbirds fighting for territory (Real-time)

Broad-tailed Hummingbirds fighting for territory (Slow-motion)
I screen captured the interaction frame-by-frame and was able to watch it in slow motion.

Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (Selasphorus platycercus)
Some of the more impressive frames.  See the full image here.  Wow!

After working for a couple of hours at the ground level with Mertensia fusiformis, I looked up and saw a Red fox (Vulpes vulpes) not far from me (at most 10 meters) stalking something.  I quickly crawled towards my backpack to grab my camera.

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)
It caught a rodent of some kind (a vole, perhaps) and buried it in the ground.

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)
Then it was off hunting again.

2015-05-21-P5210247

Then I went back to work and later saw the same fox trotting next to me (this time less than 3 meters away from me).

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)
I love its beautiful tail.

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)

Red fox (Vulpes vulpes)
Later in the day, I saw it again with another prey in its mouth.

2015-05-21-Fox
Burying the prey.  I hope it remembers where it cached all of its preys.

Most rewarding two days thus far this field season!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...