2015/05/02

Spring fauna and flora at McCarthy Woods

I went to McCarthy Woods today to practice UV photography on the flowers.  I am still missing the 40.5 to 48 step-up adapter ring, so handholding the filter in front of the camera lens is not ideal.  Plus, there may be focus shift that I need to adjust once the adapter ring arrives.  While photographing the flowers, I saw many interested things that I photographed with my E-M1.

The first was this Pileated Woodpecker (Hylatomus pileatus) pecking a fallen tree.

2015-05-02-P5020005

2015-05-02-P5020043

2015-05-02-P5020053
Taking a breather.

Pileated Woodpecker (Hylatomus pileatus)
It went to several different spots on the tree.

2015-05-02-P5020069

Pileated Woodpecker (Hylatomus pileatus)

Pileated Woodpecker (Hylatomus pileatus)
Finally it flew to a tree and then flew away.

There were also many different butterfly species in the woodlot, but most were too skittish for me to get close and photograph.  It took me a while to get these photos.

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)
Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

Brown Elfin (Callophrys augustinus)
Henry's Elfin (Callophrys henrici)

Brown Elfin (Callophrys augustinus)
The elfins are difficult to photograph because they like to land on small branches and tend to get blown away by the wind.

2015-05-02-P5020147
I tried to photograph this Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) on the branch, but it got away before I could get a shot.

Here are some of the plants flowering now.

Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum)
Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum)

White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)

Red Trillium (Trillium erectum)
Red Trillium (Trillium erectum)

Carolina Spring Beauty (Claytonia caroliniana)
Carolina Spring Beauty (aClaytonia caroliniana)
2015-05-02-P5020227
Norway Maple (Acer platanoides) flowers

American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)
As I was walking home, I heard this handsome American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) male singing.
2015-05-02-P5020254
And saw this Six-spotted Tiger Beetle (Cicindela sexguttata) on the sidewalk.  This is my second time seeing tiger beetles this year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...