2015/05/19

Life working under an unpredictable weather

I was able to put in one-and-half days (17th and 18th) worth of fieldwork before today's weather turned unpredictable again and forced me to work inside most of the day.

I discovered that there are (at least) two Gray Jays (Perisoreus canadensis) that hang out near my study site because I saw them there for two consecutive days.

2015-05-17-P5170031

2015-05-17-P5170059
This was taken after a snowy morning, and this bird looked very raggedy.

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Close-up on the tidier-looking individual.

Gray Jay (Perisoreus canadensis)
Another Gray Jay on the second day (18th).

The weather was quite nice yesterday, so I took some photos of the view across from my study site.
Mosaic Landscape

Mosaic Landscape B&W

Mosaic Landscape B&W

Gothic Mountain

Gothic Mountain
Such a powerful mountain - Gothic Mountain in black-and-white.

And then this was what I saw this morning - snow covering the cabins and trees.  Ugh.

Cabins in Gothic

Cabins in Gothic

Leafless Aspen

2015-05-19-P5190107
I worked for a couple of hours inside the lab and then saw this before lunch - a break in the clouds with blue sky!

I decided to walk along the Gothic Road and see what the road condition is like.  Because last year, the front portion of the road was covered by snow (due to avalanches) and prevented me from going to Emerald Lake at the end of May.

Cabins in Gothic
A lot of snow had melted considering this was taken only 2.5 hours after this one.

However, the clouds were still hanging low and you couldn't see the top of Gothic Mountain.

Cabins in Gothic

Cabins in Gothic

2015-05-19-P5190114
While walking along the road, I saw two Steller's Jays (Cyanocitta stelleri)!  It has been almost 2.5 years since I last saw this beautiful bird (although still not as flashy as Blue Jays, in my opinion).

2015-05-19-P5190123
Every aspen tree is a piece of interesting art.

While walking, snow and sometimes hail started to fall but I kept on going.  I turned most of these images into black-and-white since the images were mostly gray to begin with.

Mountain

Leafless Aspen

Gothic Mountain

Mountain through the clouds

Mountain through the clouds

Gothic Mountain meets East River
The visible portion of Gothic Mountain and East River.  To see the larger image, click here.

2015-05-19-P5190225
East River.

2015-05-19-P5190236
And then I got hungry and walked back to cook lunch.  By the time I finished my lunch, the weather was perfect!

Unfortunately an hour later, it was snowing again.  And now it's just cloudy and cold.  Guess I'm not getting any fieldwork done today.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...