2014/09/28

Culture Days at National Gallery of Canada

This weekend (September 26 to 28) celebrates a national event called Culture Days where activities took place throughout the country to promote art and culture in Canada.  Here in Ottawa, one of the activities is visiting the National Gallery of Canada for free, which I partook today.

P9288862
My first time inside the gallery.

Glass ceiling
Glass ceiling in the Great Hall.

I had a great time in the gallery looking at art from different eras and countries.  I particularly like paintings with bold colours and/or patterns, below are some of the ones I like the most.

Dazzle-ships in Drydock at Liverpool by Edward Wadsworth
Dazzle-ships in Drydock at Liverpool by Edward Wadsworth.

Untitled by Alex Janvier
Untitled by Alex Janvier.

On the Beach by Alfred Pellan
On the Beach by Alfred Pellan.

High Olympus by W. P. Weston
High Olympus by W.P. Weston.

North Shore, Baffin Island II by Lawren S. Harris
North Shore, Baffin Island II by Lawren S. Harris.

North Shore, Lake Superior by Lawren S. Harris
North Shore, Lake Superior by Lawren S. Harris.  This may be my favourite painting I saw today.  I have heard a lot about Canada's iconic Group of Seven, but I have not seen their paintings in person before today.  Most of their paintings are quite simple but powerful in demonstrating the beauty and harshness of Canada's wilderness, which I know firsthand from conducting fieldwork at one of the most remote areas in Canada (i.e., Ivvavik National Park).  I bought a small print of the above painting and will frame it in the future.

Drummer by Davie Atchealak
Drummer by Davie Atchealak.

Another painting I like is Camels at the Watering-place by Jean-Léon Gérôme, but no picture for that painting is allowed so you have to click on the link to see it.  Overall, I really like spending time in this gallery because it has enough material to enjoy every piece in leisure without feeling rushed to see everything in a single day.

P9288861
Beautiful day outside.

After having a late lunch, I took some photos outside the gallery and then walked to Nepean Point behind the gallery.

Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica
Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica

Cathedral and the Maman
Cathedral and the Maman

Nepean Point
Nepean Point has a statue of Samuel de Champlain holding his astrolabe upsidedown.

P9288871
Macdonald-Cartier Bridge

P9288873
Alexandra Bridge

Overlooking Ottawa River
Overlooking Ottawa River

Gatineau-side of Ottawa River
Gatineau

Castles in downtown Ottawa
Looking back at downtown Ottawa with many signs of autumn.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...