2014/07/28

Daily life in Colorado - Part 7

I departed RMBL last Wednesday and arrived back in Ottawa past midnight today.  Along the way, I made a couple of detours to visit Mertensia species that are important to another component of my project in the coming field seasons.

Before I share photos from the road-trip, I want to first post some of the photos I took on my last few days at RMBL.

Wild strawberries

P7187196
Wild strawberries that are still too small to eat.  Sadly, I won't be around to feast on them.

Cute mammals

One of the cutest animals that is always around RMBL are the Golden-mantled ground squirrels (Callospermophilus lateralis).  This species is so well-studied here in RMBL that almost all individuals are ear-tagged and monitored.

P7187211
Cute baby ground squirrel.

Golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)
Ground squirrel with ear tag.

Golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)

Golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)

Golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)

Golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus lateralis)
A less-abundant mammal is the Least chipmunk (Tamias minimus), who are also just as cute.

Plants

Saw some interesting plants when I went for a short hike by myself two Saturdays ago.

Aspen Tree Standing Tall
Aspen tree standing tall.

P7197268
One of the flowering plants that I really want to see is the Mariposa Lily (Calochortus gunnisonii) and I got the chance to see many of them.  Here is one with a beetle inside it.

P7197284
Another one with a bee inside it.

Devil's Punchbowl

On Sunday, I got a ride from fellow RMBLers to a place that I heard some people talked about - Devil's Punchbowl near Marble.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Start of the Crystal Canyon

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Small waterfalls

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Giant waterfalls.  If you look closely, you can see some people sitting just below the trees on the right side of the photo.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Some people were jumping off from the rock side into the top pool.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
A much more impressive waterfall than Judd Falls, I think.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Water dripping from face of the canyons.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Here is another waterfall where people in kayaks can launch off the it.  Kind of crazy.

Devil's Punchbowl Canyon
Crowd waiting for someone to do something crazy.

P7207414
Like that.

Deeply missing Colorado.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...