2014/06/30

Daily life in Colorado - Part 4

Research

My field season is slowly winding down with the flowers setting seeds (a.k.a. nutlets).  However, the nutlets contain elaiosomes that are removed by ants (and the plants are also eaten by deers), thus I have to be extra diligent in nutlet-collecting before other creatures get to them first.

P6195894
Ants also steal nectar from flowers.  Here is one removing the flower.

P6195896
And then drinking the nectar.

P6245988
The successfully-pollinated flowers produce at most four nutlets per flower.

Creatures

Random photos of animals that I see.

P6185885
Horse-riding appears to be a popular summer activity here in Crested Butte.

P6245999
Well-camouflaged crab spider waiting for preys.

P6256058
Ant queen harassed by worker ants.

P6266074
Photographing an unknown butterfly.

P6296128
Saw this jumping spider on my hike to Emerald Lake yesterday, which appears to be a Johnson Jumper (Phidippus johnsoni).

P6296142
I believe this is a male because its abdomen is entirely red.

Deaths

There is a trail (mostly for mountain bikers) right next to my study area, and so far I have found two creatures dead on the trail.

P6205929
My first time seeing a Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla).  Very sad that it was dead.  My field assistant and I buried it underneath a rock afterwards.

P6256053
Then there was this dead mouse.  I buried it as well.  Rest in peace, poor creatures.

Moon

Morning Moon
Morning moon on June 18th.

Rock balancing

One of the things I do (in the wild) when I am bored is balancing rocks on top of one another.  A lot of patience and understanding are required, just like being in a relationship.

P6256045

P6256051

P6296185

Scenery

The peak of wildflower emergence is happening soon, and there are quite a lot of beautiful and colourful flowers out now, and with more to come.  Can't wait!

Morning view

Wildflowers

Senecio everywhere

Alpine cabin

Sunday hike to Emerald Lake

I went for a hike by myself yesterday to a nearby alpine lake called Emerald Lake.  It is about 5 miles and 2-hour hike away from RMBL.

East River

Hiking
Hiking along Forest Road 317.

Pink mountain

Pink mountain

P6296101
Beaver dam next to the road.

P6296105
Unknown experiment happening here.

P6296110
Arriving at the lake.

P6296114_stitch
It did not look very impressive from this angle.

Emerald Lake
The view on the other side makes a much nicer image.

Emerald Lake

Emerald Lake

Emerald Lake
I got there quite early, so there were no tourists around.

Emerald Lake
Panorama view of the lake.

At 3,200 m
Walking back to RMBL.

Cloud flying solo

East River
I stopped several times along the East River to soak my feet in the cool water.  What a nice day!

Less than a month to go before wrapping up the field season and driving back to Canada.  Sigh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...