2014/04/28

Signs of Spring - native flowering plants and bees

After yesterday's post about the emerging plants seen last Monday at McCarthy Woods, I decided to go there after school today (and before I mailed my tax forms) to see if the plants started flowering yet.  And indeed they were (but in very small numbers)! 

2014-04-28-P4283273
The first thing that caught my attention was a wild Nomada bee (as oppose to the honey bees observed more than two weeks ago) with yellow pollen on its body!

Trout-lily (Erythronium americanum) visited by a Nomada bee
And this bee flew to a flowering Trout-lily (Erythronium americanum).  Based on my ROM field guide, the anthers "may be yellow or reddish brown", as seen in my three photos.  Should I assume yellow anthers meant the flower is more mature and ready to release pollen, or is it the opposite?

Trout-lily (Erythronium americanum) visited by a Nomada bee
Another Nomada bee visiting another Trout-lily.

Trout-lily (Erythronium americanum)
Such a pretty flower.

Sharp-lobed Hepatica (Anemone acutiloba)
 The second flowering species was Sharp-lobed Hepatica (Anemone acutiloba).

2014-04-28-P4283318
I know it's a Sharp-lobed hepatica because of the three large-pointed lobes on the leaf.

Sharp-lobed Hepatica (Anemone acutiloba)
Another view.

Sharp-lobed Hepatica (Anemone acutiloba)
Close-up.  Also a very simple but pretty flower.

2014-04-28-P4283306
Lastly, while I was walking around looking for other flowering species, I realized some yellow spots on this purple plant.  And when I looked closer, I realized they were flowers, and it was not a species I recognize.  The plant has purple-green flowers with six sepals (and six reduced peals at the base of the sepals) and alternate compound leaves.

Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides)
After searching through my guide, I realize it is a Blue Cohosh (Caulophyllum thalictroides).  The common name blue cohosh is also shared by a related species C. giganteum, which has larger purplish flowers and blooms earlier in the spring; but both species can be found in the same location, so I am not too certain of my species identification.  Nonetheless, it was definitely a new species for me.
2014-04-28-P4283295
There were also white trillium in the woods, but they were not ready to flower just yet.

2014-04-28-P4283329
An American Robin singing good-bye to me as I exit the woods.  I am going to try and visit this place again during the weekend and/or next Monday to record the changes.  Such an exciting time of the year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...