2014/04/29

Fauna/flora surveying in Gatineau Park (2014)

Today, I helped out with a long-term project studying the phenological patterns of fauna (i.e., pollinators) and flora at Gatineau Park.  It was my second time visiting the park so I was very excited to be here again.

2014-04-29-DSCN0056
The project involves three main components: surveying flora, collecting bees,

2014-04-29-DSCN0055
and setting up bee nest boxes and checking them weekly.

It was a cloudy and windy day, so we didn't see many bees.

2014-04-29-DSCN0048
A tiny bee resting on a petal of bloodroot, a species that I haven't seen before.

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)
Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) - simple but beautiful.

Saxifraga sp.
 A Saxifrage species here in Ontario.  Not sure which one, maybe Micranthes virginiensis?

2014-04-29-P4293396
Here is another species that I haven't seen before - Dutchman’s Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria).  Like bloodroot, it belongs in the Poppy family (Papaveraceae), and its common name probably comes from the Indian corn-like yellow tubers.  The flowers haven't bloom yet, so it would be interesting to see them open completely.

2014-04-29-P4293376
This reminds me of the Wild Leek (Allium tricoccum) I have seen before in Peterborough.  Not totally sure though.

2014-04-29-P4293330
Then there was this mystery plant.  It was low to the ground and shrubby, but no flowers.  Anyone knows what species it is?  [Edit: Thanks to Sara, who commented that it is Patridge-berry (Mitchella repens).  I shall look for the fragrant white flowers next month.]

2014-04-29-P4293377
We saw a bee hanging onto maple buds with its mandibles.  This reminds me of the Cuckoo Leaf-cutting Bee (Genus Coelioxys) I had seen before.

2014-04-29-P4293334
Outside one of the bee nest boxes was this beetle, which I think may be a Diurnal Firefly (Ellychnia corrusca).  This might be the first time I have seen a firefly in the daytime, without knowing that it's a firefly.  Cool!

2014-04-29-P4293340
We caught glimpses of a turkey and this Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens).

2014-04-29-P4293402
We also saw this beautiful gartersnake.  First one of the year!

Eastern Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis)
Such a pretty Eastern Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis) - female.

2014-04-29-P4293410
As we were exiting the park, I saw this beautiful purple bracket fungi.

We were very lucky because it started to rain once we got into the car heading back to Ottawa.  I saw a lot of species that I haven't seen before, so it was a productive day overall.

2 comments:

Sara Rall said...

I think your mystery plant is partridgeberry.

PSYL said...

I think you are right, Sara. Much appreciated it. Google Imaging "oval leaf yellow vein Ontario" didn't yield successful results.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...