2013/12/13

Pileated Woodpecker in McCarthy Woods

I went out for a walk this afternoon after working in my room all day, and wow, was it cold when I stepped outside (-35 degrees Celsius and frostbite warning, apparently)!  I went to a forest near by called McCarthy Woods, and saw a large murder of crows, one nuthatch, some chickadees, a few squirrels, and caught a glimpse of a woodpecker flying away.  It was so cold that I had no motivation to take out my camera from my backpack and take pictures.

It wasn't until near the end of my walk when I heard something knocking on a tree near me.  I looked around until I realized there was a Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus) on the tree right next to me.  I was very excited because this will be my first time properly seeing and photographing a Pileated Woodpcker (if I don't scare it away first).  My previous attempts at photographing this species are pretty pathetic, if I must say so, for example this and this.  So I slowly and stiffly (from the cold) took out my camera and snapped away.

2013-12-13-PC131649
Right on top of me.

2013-12-13-PC131676
Another angle.

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
Wood chip in its beak.

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)
As you can see, it made several holes already.

2013-12-13-PC131704
Pecking away.

2013-12-13-PC131727
There were eight attempts in total.  Pileated Woodpeckers’ primary food is ants, and they dig broad and deep rectangular holes in trees to find ants.  I wonder if ants are surviving at this temperature.

The woodpecker was still at it when I had enough of the cold and headed back.  Definitely a survivor.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...