2013/10/26

Guelph University & The Arboretum - Part 1

When I arrived at Guelph on Sunday afternoon, I first checked into the hotel, then headed to the university to get my registration kit.  Since the weather was not too bad, I decided to take some photos and tried to find the Arboretum.

Guelph University
This scenery reminded me of New Orleans, such as this image.


Guelph University
The only building I photographed during this trip.

PA200623
Without a map, I ended up walking along College Avenue East.  Feeling I was going the wrong direction, I cut into the Guelph Centre for Urban Organic Farming.

PA200625
Unknown fruits on the tree.

PA200631
I eventually found the entrance into the Arboretum.

PA200632
So many trails!

Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
Once I entered into the Arboretum, I immediately regreted not bringing my OM 50 f1.4 lens.  The maple trees still had their leaves and would made beautiful images.  I tried to make do with just the 70-300 lens.

Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
Love when the sunlight penetrates the leaves.

PA200641
The oak leaves were very colourful too.

Chinquapin Oak (Quercus muehlenbergii)
Chinquapin Oak (Quercus muehlenbergii)
PA200648
Very large and interesting leaf.

Cucumber Tree (Magnolia acuminata)
Cucumber Tree (Magnolia acuminata)
PA200657
The importance of the threatened Cucumber tree.

PA200659
There is a very large Monkey Puzzle Tree (Araucaria araucana) at UBC.  This one is just a tiny one.

PA200660
Another vulnerable species.

PA200665
Eastern Prickly Pear (Opuntia humifusa), is naturally found in southern Ontario but is now an endangered species.

PA200666

Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
A gorgeous sugar maple tree by the parking lot.

Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
So magnificant!

PA200670
Sign underneath the tree.

PA200674
I then walked through this tall shrub with interesting berries.  Looking at the sign, I saw that it is in the Araliaceae family, same as the Wild sarsaparilla (Aralia nudicaulis) I photographed in Algonquin.

PA200677
Acanthopanax sessiliflorus

Katsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum)
Katsura Tree (Cercidiphyllum japonicum) had pretty heart-shaped leaves.

PA200684
The sign.

PA200688
Red maple leaves are much smaller than the sugar maple leaves.

It was getting colder and darker towards the end, so I went to Tim Horton's to get hot tea and then headed back to the hotel to call it a night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...