2013/09/23

Critters behind DNA building

Just some photos I took behind the DNA building this afternoon when I came outside to eat my lunch.

P9239428
First woolly bear I saw this season crossing the parking lot.  I saw a (squished) one while I was biking home later in the day.
P9239458
Nice day today - sunny and not too cold.

Field of Asters and Goldenrods
Asters and goldenrods.

European honey bee (Apis mellifera)
I thought the cold nights lately would affect most insects, but some are survivors!  European honey bee (Apis mellifera) visiting asters.

European honey bee (Apis mellifera)
Another one.

P9239507
Saw a jumping spider impressively hopped along the trail.

Northern amber bumble bee (Bombus borealis)
Saw this enormous bumble bee (relative to the honey bees) - it was about 1.5 times larger than a honey bee.  Using this guide, I think it was either a Northern amber bumble bee (Bombus borealis) or a Yellow bumble bee (B. fervidus), but the yellow face suggested it was a B. borealis.

P9239533
Here it was, foraging next to a honey bee.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...