2013/08/23

Flower visitors behind DNA building

I finally cleaned out my office space and returned my office key to the department today.  It was a bit sad to leave a space that I used so much during my 2+ years here at Trent.  From now on, I will either work from home or from the research lab.  One disadvantage of working in the lab is that there are no windows, so I need to go outside for a break eventually, otherwise, I'd have no idea if it's sunny or rainy outside.

I went behind the building after working in the lab for a couple of hours.

Sweat Bee (Halictidae)
A metallic green bee on Queen Anne's Lace.


Megachilid bee
A Megachilid bee visiting mint-like flowers.

P8238457
I spent quite a long time watching European wool carder bees (Anthidium manicatum) visiting Bird's-foot Trefoil flowers (Lotus corniculatus).

Megachilid bee visiting Bird's-foot Trefoil
These other Megachilid bees were not as robust as the carder bees, so they had to force themselves to get to the nectaries by sticking their abdomen upwards,.  It was quite funny to see and photograph.

Megachilid bee visiting Bird's-foot Trefoil
The females of Megachilid bee have hairs at the ventral side of the abdomen and assist with pollination, I'd imagine.

Buffalo Treehopper (Ceresa sp.)
Saw another Buffalo Treehopper (Ceresa sp.).

P8238444
Seeds of a Rumex sp. plant.

P8238480
Close-up on clover flowers.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...