2013/08/25

Audubon Park, New Orleans

This is will the final post from my New Orleans trip.  I presented my research on Wednesday (July 31) afternoon and we left New Orleans the following morning, so Tuesday was my last opportunity to explore New Orleans.

Based on the recommendation from one of my supervisors, I woke up extra early on Tuesday morning and took the streetcar through the famous Garden District and arrived at Audubon Park to do some wildlife-watching.

P7307647
The first thing I saw at the park was this beautiful garden and fountain.  There were some Monarch butterflies visiting the flowers and I was planning on taking some photos, but there was a strange individual talking to himself so I gave up on that idea.


Even though it was quite early (i.e., before 8 AM), there were already many joggers and people exercising.  I like that in a city.  Plus, the park is very big and beautiful.

Audubon Park
Beautiful fountain

Audubon Park
Nice bridge and reflection

Audubon Park
View from the bridge

There were some bird species, but the lighting in the early morning was not great and so I only took a few photos (by my standard).

P7307404
White Ibis (Eudocimus albus)

P7307369
Sleeping Wood Ducks (Aix sponsa)

P7307421
My second time seeing a Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) (my first time was at Shaw Nature Reserve in Missouri) but I still wasn't able to get a good photo of it.

P7307407
There is a nice (but green) lagoon in the centre of the park.

DSCN2739
Fancy park shelter

Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga)
There were a few Anhingas (Anhinga anhinga) around the lagoon, but this one was the closest (although it was back-lit).  Nonetheless, its silhouette was quite interesting.

P7307450
While I was chasing after some dragonflies, I spooked this lizard in the undergrowth.  I think it was a Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis) because it never showed me its face and it left shortly after.

P7307461
An egret hiding in the parking lot.

Great Egret (Ardea alba)
It was a Great Egret (Ardea alba).

Great Egret (Ardea alba)
Getting closer and closer to it.

P7307597
At the southwest end of the park is Audubon Zoo, which I didn't go to.

Audubon Park
More great live oak trees.

Behind the zoo was a little park called "The Fly" and it faces the Mississippi River.

DSCN2742
Mississippi River

Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)
I have seen a lot of Northern Mockingbirds (Mimus polyglottos) in New Orleans.

Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)
Another pose.

P7307489
One species I was not expecting to see was this Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus).  Another lifer!

Dragonfly
More photos of dragonflies.

P7307593

DSCN2745
John James Audubon, the famous naturalist whom this park is named after.

DSCN2747
Entrance to Audubon Zoo, still locked.

DSCN2749
Thought this was kind of cute.

P7307608
More live oak trees

Audubon Park
People in New Orleans are lucky to have a jogging path through such beautiful surroundings.

Surrounding the park are Tulane and Loyola Universities, both of which probably have their own interesting sights to see.  Unfortunately, I needed to go back to the conference to see some presentations and network.

P7307623
Near the fountain at the entrance, I saw this Long-tailed skipper (Urbanus proteus) but this was the best photo I got.

P7307651
On the way back, inside the streetcar.

DSCN2728
Passing through the lovely buildings at the Garden District.

Garden District Church
Beautiful church

DSCN2725
Lee Circle

So that was pretty much my New Orleans trip.  It was an awesome experience attending an international conference at such an interesting city.  As you can tell, there are still many places that I did not have the chance to see and I hope I can come back in the future to explore some more.  Here are some left-over photos to wrap up this trip.

P7317662
DSCN2752
Driving out of the city

P8017664
Good-bye, New Orleans!

P8017669
Crossing Lake Pontchartrain again.

P8017671
We drove for about 16 hours on the first day.  Here we were passing through some city in Ohio.

P8027672
Arrived at the border before noon on the second day, but we got stuck in the infamous GTA (Friday) traffic for several hours.  We finally arrived back in Peterborough just in time for dinner.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...