2013/06/15

Photos from last Saturday - Pollinators, Waxwings, and Groundhog

A week of field course has gone by and left me with a new appreciation for plants and tons of photos.  Another week will start tomorrow at Algonquin Provincial Park and I will be away from technology during that time.

I have not yet sorted out my photos from this past week, and I only just finished the ones from last Saturday (June 8th).  Here they are.

I went over to Trent's Ward Garden last week to test myself on plant identification using the field guide.

2013-06-08-P6083067
Came across a wasp on the stairs with many red mites crawling all over the rocky surface (one is to the left of the wasp).

2013-06-08-P6083070
This bee (Osmia sp., I think) was sunning itself.  Look at its cool eyes.

2013-06-08-P6083097
A Wild ginger flower (Asarum canadense) from the Birthwort (Aristolochiaceae) family, although it's not related to the spice ginger (Zingiber officinale) at all.

Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia)
One lone Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia; Bellflower family, Campanulaceae) in the garden.  However, I am not entirely sure why it has 6 petals though.

2013-06-08-P6083105
Found a sad scene on the ground where this dead bee was headless.

Bumblebee on lupine flowers
A live bumblebee visiting lupine flowers.

2013-06-08-P6083085
Check out its tongue trying to drink the nectar!

Metallic Green Bee (Genus Agapostemon)
On this Philadelphia fleabane (Erigeron philadelphicus) flower, I found this metallic green bee (Agapostemon sp.).

Metallic Green Bee (Genus Agapostemon)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
In the surrounding canopy were these Cedar Waxwings.  I think they may be fledglings because they were not very shy at all, and a flying bird just missed my head as I was moving around.

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)

Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
This one perched long enough on the tree for me to get some photographs of it from the back.

As I was heading to my office, I saw this groundhog (Marmota monax) munching on the grasses near the parking lot.  I slowly moved towards it and was able to get closer and closer without it running off.

2013-06-08-P6083216

Groundhog (Marmota monax)
Leaf in its mouth.

Groundhog (Marmota monax)
Cute-looking critter.

Be back in a week, and I am certain I will have lots of photos to share then.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...