2013/05/31

Mayfly, Beetle, and Waxwings

Some photos from yesterday and today.

2013-05-30-P5302609
Close-up of a dead mayfly found in my office.

Last night, while I was watching a basketball game, I heard something flying and hitting the screen door.  I realized it was some kind of a beetle, so I quickly grabbed my camera equipment and a jar to collect it.  I put it in the fridge for a minute or two to cool it down, and then took some photos of it.  I believe it is a Hermit Flower Beetle (Osmoderma sp.) but I am not particularly certain what species it is (only three species found in Canada).

Hermit Flower Beetle (Osmoderma sp.)

2013-05-30-P5302620

Hermit Flower Beetle (Osmoderma sp.)
Portrait of the beetle.  Quite cute.

2013-05-31-P5312638
Took this photo this evening when I was in a rush of going to the bus to catch a bus home.  I think they are Cedar Waxwings (with pale undertail; while Bohemian Waxwings have rufous undertail), but I could be wrong.  First sighting of the year for me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...