2013/05/18

Lady Eaton Drumlin in the Spring

The weather was so nice (and warm) today that I decided to check out Lady Eaton Drumlin before I went to my office.  It was during mid-day so the highlights of some of these photos are quite bright.  One thing I didn't prepare for was the mosquitoes and so they annoyed me quite a bit today.  This is my first being on the drumlin during the month of May.  I was here last year in April and the trees were still leafless and only hepatica was flowering, but that was not the case in May.

2013-05-18
Star-flowered Solomon's Seal (Maianthemum stellatum)

2013-05-18
Some kind of buttercup because of the unfused ovaries (an ancestral trait).

2013-05-18
Antennaria sp. a.k.a. Pussytoe

2013-05-18
First dragonfly of the year.  Some kind of skimmer I think.  It was a bit far away to get a proper photo.

2013-05-18
Chickadee enjoying the flowers too.

Shadowy patterns
Like the shadow casted by the inflorescence onto the leaf

2013-05-18
A bee-fly was hovering close to the ground.  I attempted to get a good photo of it but this was the best I got.

2013-05-18
My first decent butterfly photo of the year.  There were many of these duskywing butterflies flying around, I initially thought it was a Juvenal's Duskywing, but the pale spots on the hind wing suggest it was a Dreamy Duskywing (Erynnis icelus).

Dreamy Duskywing (Erynnis icelus)
Closer look at the butterfly and its proboscis

Dreamy Duskywing (Erynnis icelus)
Dusted with dandelion pollen

My favourite surprise of the day - the forest floor was covered flowering White-flowered trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)!  This is my first time seeing something like this and I think my mother would enjoyed seeing something like this too.

2013-05-18
So pretty

White-flowered trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)
Trillium everywhere!

White-flowered trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)

Flowery dancer
Almost like a dancer on the forest floor

2013-05-18
An the edge of the forest

2013-05-18
Looking back up

2013-05-18
Blossoms in the parking lot

2013-05-18
A Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) preening itself

2013-05-18
Zebra jumping spider (Salticus scenicus) on the wall

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...