2013/05/20

Chasing butterflies and dragonflies

There was no bus services today because of the holiday (Victoria Day); plus, I figure it's probably time for me to start doing some exercises by biking to school today.  When I was getting close to the school, I saw a path leading to a field that I never paid attention to before.  Then I saw the field was busy with butterflies and dragonflies flying around.  Definitely a great detour.

This was the dragonfly that I saw today.  I took some photos of it, and I think it looks like a Frosted Whiteface, but any feedback is appreciated.

Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female 2013
Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female

Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female
Definitely a Whiteface (Genus Leucorrhinia), but what species?

Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female

Seeing this dragonfly reminds me of a similar dragonfly I photographed in Carden Plains three years ago.

Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female 2010

Frosted Whiteface (Leucorrhinia frigida) female

There are still some unknown critters from 2010, one of them I identified but forgot to put on here.

Common Baskettail (Epitheca cynosura)
Common Baskettail (Epitheca cynosura)

2013-05-20
Bee on Wild Strawberry flower

2013-05-20
One of the butterflies that grabbed my attention was the Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus).

2013-05-20
Also visiting the strawberry flower, which was the dominant flowering species at the moment, aside from the dandelions.

Silvery Blue (Glaucopsyche lygdamus)
Close-up

2013-05-20
This butterfly kept getting bothered by another blue butterfly.  Not sure if it's part of the courtship display or territorial defense.

2013-05-20
I think this is a male because of the iridescent silvery blue with narrow dark borders on the wings.

2013-05-20
Then I also caught a glimpse of the Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes).  What an exciting day.

It was a humid and hot day, and I am definitely out of shape but seeing all these critters was definitely worth it. 

PS - I also saw a Pileated Woodpecker today, but getting a photo of it proves to be challenging once again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...