2013/01/17

Rose of the day: Barred Owl

Shortly after 12 PM today, a friend of mine posted a photo of an owl on Facebook and said "Owl in Jackson's Park".  All of that was enough for me to stop everything and replied back "where", and then I was gone.

Well, actually, I had to wait for another hour or so before the bus come to take me home, but I don't see owls that often in the wild (I can pretty much count all of the times that I have seen owls), and so I was pretty excited.  Owls are pretty special to me because my first Great Horned Owl reaffirmed my passion for nature and wildlife, especially during a time where my future was very uncertain (and somewhat still).


Anyways, the owl that my friend saw was a Barred Owl (Strix varia), which was a species that I have never seen in the wild before, so this was a lifer for me!  It was resting on a tree on the side of the trail, but because it was so well-camouflaged and today was quite cold (therefore fewer people in the park), it was able to have its moments of peace.


Barred Owl (Strix varia)

Barred Owl (Strix varia)


Barred Owl (Strix varia)

Barred Owl (Strix varia)

Barred Owl (Strix varia)

I snapped a few photos and then just stood there quietly and admire this magnificent creature.  I could look at it forever, but my presence was probably not good for this bird and so I left eventually.  I love owls!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...