2012/08/07

Attending WCH volunteer orientation at UBC & Cyanide-producing Millipedes

Went to UBC early in the morning to attend the WCH volunteer orientation.  I haven't been to UBC in a while, and surprise surprise, there is still construction going on at the campus.  Since I started going to UBC in 2004, I don't think there has been a year where UBC is completely free of construction machines.  This is probably the main reason why I dislike UBC so much. 

Anyways, the bus arrived earlier than expected so I walked to the rose garden to see some sights. 

2012-08-07-P8075429
Fireweed with water droplets.

2012-08-07-DSCN1946
The rose garden.  The sky was very hazy today, making it difficult to see the north shore mountains.

2012-08-07-DSCN1941
Beautiful lilies.

2012-08-07-P8075436
As I was getting to leave, a Northern Flicker flew to this tree.  First time seeing a NOFL this year, I believe.

The orientation involved some welcoming speeches, discussing different responsibilities, touring around the classrooms, learning how to set up AV equipments, having lunch, and stuffing registration kits.  Once it ended, I walked down the Wreck Beach trail hoping to do some birding.

At the top of the trail was this millipede.  It is a Cyanide-producing Millipedes (Harpaphe haydeniana).  According to this blog post, H. haydeniana only has a few predators and acts as an important "macroshredder" by feeding on the leaf litter and (efficiently) recycling the nutrients back into the soil for new growth.

2012-08-07-DSCN1949
Very distinct colours.

2012-08-07-P8075442
It has fewer legs than I normally associate millipedes with.

2012-08-07-DSCN1952
Looking down the trail.

Robert Geranium (Geranium robertianum)
Robert Geranium or Herb-robert (Geranium robertianum).  According to the guide (the older version) that I have, the name herb-robert is so ancient that no one is sure of the origin of the name, and the book suggested six different possibilities, one being named after Robin Hood.

2012-08-07-P8075461
It was high tide when I got there around 2pm and I couldn't see any birds on the water, so I just sat in the shades and read for a bit (while listening to the crashing waves).

2012-08-07-DSCN1948
Looking forward to this conference.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...