2012/02/20

First time in Ottawa

After a beautiful drive from Peterborough to Ottawa, my labmate and I first checked into the hotel around 4pm, and then we went for a quick sightseeing of the infamous Ottawa, the capital of the nation. It was my first time visiting and I have heard good things about the city, but I was still astonished when I first saw the Parliament! It was amazing! The architectures of the official governmental buildings are incredible and definitely worth seeing for someone like me who appreciates architecture (although knows nothing about it).

Capital of Canada
Parliament

Parliament of Canada
Parliament from another angle

Parliament of Canada
Clock tower

There are many iconic (e.g. beaver, moose, wolves) and strange (such as above) creatures carved on the walls of the Parliament building.

Library of Parliament
In the back, the Library of Parliament

Despite the sunny and clear weather, it was freezing in the afternoon.

Alexandra Bridge into Quebec
Alexandra Bridge into Gatineau, Quebec

Rideau Canal
Although it was very cold and the last day of Winterlude, the Rideau Canal was closed.

National War Memorial
Part of the National War Memorial

Central Chambers of the National Capital Commission
Across from the National War Memorial was the National Capital Commission building, which I took a photo of and edited it to make it look more like a comical building.

Children curious about Joy
One of the many sculptures found in downtown Ottawa.

My labmate and I also walked around to check out the Byward Market. It was not what I had expected as I was expecting more of a Granville Market type of an area. In the evening, we just grabbed a few slices of pizza and called it a night.

Need to get ready for the identification course tomorrow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...