2011/08/01

Study Site 3, Ivvavik National Park

My co-workers and I just finished a whirlwind road trip through the Yukon on July 27 to 31, and I am now in Edmonton Airport waiting for my flight back to Vancouver. The last couple of days have been crazy, fun, and tiring at the same time. Hopefully I will have sorted out some of the photos from the road trip by the end of the week. But now, more photos from Ivvavik National Park.

The pristine landscape of Ivvavik never ceases to amaze me, even if it is a study site that I go every 3 to 7 days. These photos are from one of my study sites or on the way to it. Beautiful, isn't it?

Landscape of Ivvavik

Landscape of Ivvavik

Ivvavik National Park

Firth River

Ivvavik National Park

Ivvavik National Park

Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos)
In the evening of July 6, a volunteer and I were on our way to the study site to collect insect traps and we (carelessly) passed a grizzly bear without knowing it. Fortunately it was a hot day and the bear seemed to be occupied with something else (which we found a few days later to be digging for sik-sik burrows). The bear was too close for my personal comfort (about less than 100-m away) and I learned my lesson after that to keep an eye out for bears constantly!

Ah, good times in Ivvavik!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...