2011/08/13

More Than Usual

Saw an unknown grasshopper at the Gilbert Road Community Garden today. It was sort of trapped between me and meshed fence, hence the closer-than-usual photos. Hopefully someone will help me identify it over at BugGuide.  [Edit: It may be a Carolina Grasshopper (Dissosteira carolina), thanks to Tim for the help.]

Unknown Grasshopper
Link

Unknown Grasshopper
A cool-looking critter.

I also got a few sharper-than-usual photos of the Sand Wasp. It's amazing to see its green eyes.

Sand Wasp (Bembix Americana)

Sand Wasp (Bembix Americana)

Sand Wasp (Bembix Americana)
Super lucky photo.

Unknown Hover Fly
Caught this tiny Hover Fly resting on this plant. It seemed smaller than the ones in Yukon. Probably a different species, but still very similar. I'll post of the ones from Yukon eventually.

Then I biked over to London's Landing and saw a couple of sparrows, swallows, and a pair of Mute Swan.

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

Found this rabbit for the roadside while biking to Finn Slough. It was very tame and one of the passer-by told me she had seen it quite frequently in the same spot.

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Snapped a photo of the Barn Swallow before I headed home for dinner.

1 comment:

Tim said...

As a nymph, it's tough to positively identify, but my guess is that it is http://bugguide.net/node/view/14827/bgpage based on what's common in Richmond.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...