2011/08/04

Insects in Richmond

I went out for a bike ride this afternoon. Such a nice day. Can't believe it is only summer here, whereas autumn is changing the colours of the leaves in the Arctic Circle. There are many things different here down South, such as the large trees, people, lifestyle, inexpensive food, and biodiversity.

I stopped at Gilbert Road Community Garden and spent a great amount of time photographing the insects that came my way.

Unknown Bumblebee (Bombus spp.)
Yellow-faced Bumblebee (Bombus vosnesenskii) sticking out its long tongue.

Western honey bee (Apis mellifera)

Western honey bee (Apis mellifera)
Cute Western Honey Bee cleaning itself.

Unknown Damselfly (Suborder Zygoptera)

Unknown Damselfly (Suborder Zygoptera)

Unknown Damselfly (Suborder Zygoptera)
Some kind of damselfly. The only site I found useful was this but I wish there are galleries to help me identify them.

Blue-eyed Darner (Rhionaeschna multicolor)
Then I biked towards Finn Slough and spotted this Blue-eyed Darner (Rhionaeschna multicolor) (I think) resting on blackberries. Such a lucky shot because I spent most of the times at the community garden trying to photograph the never-stopping dragonflies there.

Unknown Damselfly (Suborder Zygoptera)
Then I saw this simpler-looking damselfly. Beautiful!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...