2011/03/20

Signs of Spring, and then Supermoon!

What counts as signs of Spring?

Skywatching Saturday
Nice weather? Not really, but I'll take it over any rainy days.

Indian Plum flowering? According to the book I have, it's "one of the first plants to flower in the spring." So, yes!

European Honey Bees (Apis mellifera) visiting the only flowering plant in Terra Nova Sharing Farm? Definitely yes.

European Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

European Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

European Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)

European Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)
Not sure what plant this is, but it sure is nice to see bees already [Edit: it is some species of Heather flowers]. Taking these photos was difficult because I had to use my telephoto lens manually; thus, I took a lot of photos, most blurry ones and ended up with four presentable ones.

According to my book, here are some traits to help you identify A. mellifera:
1. Size: worker (9-18mm); drone (15-16mm); queen (18-20mm).
2. Range: Southern Canada and throughout US.
3. For workers:
- golden brown and black with pale orange or yellow bands on abdomen
- clear wings
- hindlegs have special bristles that form pollen baskets
- nearly black head, antennae, and legs
- covered with fine hairs, less so on abdomen

What interested me the most are the pollens collected on the legs, which made me search for the structures and functions of the honey bee legs.

Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)
Ring-necked Duck in Terra Nova Slough...not really a sign.

Another definite sign would be the presence of Yellow-throated Warblers (Dendroica dominica auduboni), especially because they are not a species I often see.

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica coronata)
I was following at least one (or two) individuals around and seeing them jumping from branch to branch but not really gleaning either.


I am not certain exactly what it was doing. Maybe looking for nesting material already? Anyways, I got some blurry pictures of it hopping around.

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Dendroica  coronata)
One of the few stationary shots.

And I found a mystery feather tangled on a branch. It was about 10-cm long.

And these are two of my sharpest photos of (still) Bald Eagles ever!

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Regal eagle.

Super Moon
And a photo of the Supermoon that I just took less than an hour ago. It doesn't seem that much larger, but I always crop my photos so I can't say for certain.

Anyways, have a nice weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...