2011/03/23

Blossoms are here! Good day to be out

Besides seeing the American Bittern today, I also saw many interesting things.

First, the blossoms are here! Despite seeing them every year, it's still exciting to see these beautiful flowers. I took these from the Phoenix Pond in Steveston, but they are starting to blossom everywhere in the city now.

Using the 1:2 magnification on my telephoto lens to do macro photography.

Plum Blossom

Plum Blossom
I like this image.

Blossom Against a Blue Sky
This image is nice too, with the soft colours.

I saw one pollinator on these flowers too - a fly of some sort.

Saw my first turtle of the year too. Just one, but I think pretty soon many of them will be piling on this board again, like this.

While taking photos of the bittern, an insect flew across my view. I initially thought it was a cranefly, similar size, but then I look closer, I realized it was a wasp!

Unidentified Wasp
I am not a bug expert, so I enlarged the picture and asked the experts over at Bug Guide.

Hopefully, I will have an answer.

At Terra Nova Natural Area was where I saw this Great Blue Heron. Before I took these photos below, I saw it stabbed a large fish, threw on the grass, and stabbed it again. I immediately went to get closer to get some shots, but the fish was in its throat by the time I got closer. I'll never get tired of watching these guys, especially when in hunting mode.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

In the middle field was this immature Bald Eagle. At first, I thought it was someone crouching in the field. I am not certain why it was on the ground at the time, and I was worried that it might be injured or something. However, after a minute of me watching it, it took off - with crows cawing all around. Good to see it unhurt and flying.

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla)
Two images of a young Golden-crowned Sparrow.

American Wigeons (Anas americana)
Two of the several shy American Wigeons that are so difficult to photograph.

Beautiful weather today.

Using the kit lens, I took this close-up shot of Hooker's Willow (Salix hookeriana). But then I got curious how much closer I can take with my telephoto lens, and so I changed the lens... and got much closer.

Hooker's Willow (Salix hookeriana)

Hooker's Willow (Salix hookeriana)

Hooker's Willow (Salix hookeriana)
Like fireworks!

Fantastic day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...