2011/03/17

Better day than expected

It was a better birding than I expected, given that it was spitting rain when I left the house and a few more times while outside.

Unstable weather.

Sporangia
Sort of thinking of buying a macro lens (or adapter) to allow me to take photos of things close-up. Nevertheless, the kit lens does a decent job too. These are sporangia of some kind of moss.

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)
While walking along the rail track, I saw two crows chasing something - I immediately know it was a bird of prey. I believe this is a Cooper's Hawk, no?

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
In the wooded area, there was a much larger bird of prey perched near the entrance. I had to walk around to find a good spot to photograph it - this was the best. I believe this is a Red-tailed Hawk.

Unidentified Berry (Rubus spp.) Flower
In the forest, I tried to take photos of the smaller birds but they are flew away when I walked towards them along the path. So I only took photos of the plants instead. One of the first flowers of the year! I'll have to come back to see what species it is. [Hugh (of RPL) identified it as Indian Plum (Oemleria cerasiformis). Thank you!]

Unknown Plant
Another plant with flower buds.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
At the exit of the forest, a Bald Eagle was perching on top of the tree not doing a whole lot.

Alaska Queen II

I spent a lot of time watching this Downy Woodpecker pecking and feeding from the trees. This is a good example of the woodpecker using its stiff tail to stabilize its body while banging against the tree.

Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)
It was not shy at all and got quite close (and low) to where I was taking its photos.

Unknown juvenile gull (Larus spp.)
Juvenile gull flying by.

Glaucous-winged Gull (Larus glaucescens)
The funniest photo of a gull I have ever taken. Not as close as this photo, but still awesome to see it in person. It wasn't calling or anything - just open beak for several seconds - yawning?

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
A Bald Eagle perched on the trees at Finn Slough. May be the one I took photos of earlier.

Days getting better.

Then I took a lot of time photographing the robins running around, pausing, and feeding.

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
And also some head-scratching!

2 comments:

Hugh Griffith said...

I think your hawk IDs are correct. The flowering shrub is Indian plum, Oemleria cerasiformis, almost always the first. (We are so far behind schedule this year!)

Love the gaping gull!

PSYL said...

Thank you very much, Hugh! Despite the wimpy winter, spring is definitely slow this year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...