2011/01/03

First bike ride to the dyke of 2011

Hope everyone is having a good 2011 so far. Yesterday, I went out for a short walk with my mom around the neighborhood. Today, I biked to Steveston and then to West Dyke Trail to watch the eagles, then back home.

I gave my new jacket and pants a test today. Very warm, I didn't even feel cold at all today - maybe because today is warmer than the last couple of days.

One of the first photos of the year - photographs of Lesser Yellowlegs at the beach across from London Farm.

Looking down below.

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)

Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa flavipes)
There were about four Yellowlegs that stayed more or less in a group foraging.

While photographing the Yellowlegs, a Great Blue Heron flew overhead and landed on the chimney of the house in London Farm.

Cold feet?

Then I slowly pedaled to Garry Point Park. When I got there, I can't believe how many people were there (then I realized that it's a Sunday and most people are still in holiday mode). Plus, the pond in the middle of the park had frozen solid and people were out skating and playing hockey.

People having a good time on another gorgeous day.

Beside the park, I spotted two Pied-billed Grebes in the water. One of them was closer to me and had just caught a fish and was having a difficult time swallowing it. I didn't get any good photos of the process but a few sharp photos afterwards.

Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)

Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)
Same bird as above, but after ruffling its feathers, it looked cuter than usual!

Then I got to the eagle's nest by the golf course. Both eagles were there today - perching and looking around.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Eagle A. It took off shortly after. It pooped just before it flew off.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Eagle B on another perch.

Taking off. Focused on the branch instead. Similarly, this eagle pooped before it took off. I actually got a good image of poop coming out of its cloaca, but I don't think people would be interested in seeing that.

After the eagles were gone, I decided to slowly bike back home.

Contour
Looking at the islands. A part of the landscape.

Playing the Canadian Game
Took a few more photos of people in the park skating and playing hockey.

Looking Up
Enjoying the cloudless sky.

First sunset photo of 2011.

Cheers!
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...