2011/01/27

Dining Out Vancouver & Visiting UBC

Today, my parents and I went out to UBC to have lunch at the Westward Ho! Public House & Grill Room. The restaurant is taking part at the annual Dine Out Vancouver event where people can try out different restaurants at relatively reasonable prices ($18, $28, and $38). This is our first time and so we decided to go for the $18 menu at this restaurant at the UBC Golf Course because of its menu (there are some pictures here, as well as a YouTube video showing the dishes). I wish I have eyes for good taking food photos, like these here by blogger Sam Lin.

We ordered all three appetizers and entrees to have a taste of everything. For appetizers, we like the Tempura Battered Scallops the most, and the lamb for the entree. The three kinds of desserts in one course is excellent too. Overall, the food was good and price was more than reasonable considering the type of food we had. The only negative thing I can think of is probably the slowish service. I probably give everything a 3/4 - good, but not over-the-top excellent.

Anyways, after lunch, I asked to be dropped off at the UBC so I can go to the library and find some research articles.

When I had enough of staring at the computer, I headed outside to enjoy the surprising nice afternoon.

UBC Revisited
UBC is a beautiful campus when you don't look at the constructions and new buildings.

Heading down Trail 3 (to Wreck Beach) where I used to do my bird point counts for my uni course. There steps were definitely not there then. Now, it makes walking the trail easier but also more human traffic. I wonder if this will affect the birds.

Face to face with the North Shore Mountains without Richmond and Vancouver in between.

Natural framing

North Vancouver Mountains

North Vancouver

On the water, I photographed my first Harlequin Ducks (Histrionicus histrionicus).

Too bad it was too far away for a good photo to show off its colors.

Surf Scoters and one Red-breasted Merganser.

Also many Barrow's Goldeneyes.

Barrow's Goldeneyes (Bucephala islandica)

Common Goldeneye (above) and Barrow's Goldeneyes (below)
With one Common Goldeneye out of place.

A young Bald Eagle was calling several times. Not because of why.

Saw a heron landing at the shore far far away. When I got closer to it, someone was walking along the shore and scared the heron away.



Rocky Beach
Not really a sunset photo (this is probably one of the earlier photos of the afternoon). But it certainly felt like sunset in this image.

Backed on top of the trail. Fully clothed, no less.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...