2011/01/04

Bird of the year (so far) - Peregrine Falcon!

I rode out to the dyke again today and took the shorter route of going to Finn Slough then back home.

Along the way, I saw an eagle by the nest at the end of No. 3 Road, watched dogs and dogwalkers along the dyke and listened to the Killdeers in the fields. However, nothing special stood out for me to have the urge to take out my camera and photograph the moment.

Then, I got close to Finn Slough.

Sun almost setting. Heard the weather will get nasty again (i.e. wet) for the remainder of the week.

The always dependable young Great Blue Heron that I always see around here (I think). Heard another 'look, a crane' comment today.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Crane? Where?

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Not really camouflage, but the heron and the reflection of the brick building seemed to blend well in this photo.

And just when I think today's going to be a relatively quiet day (birding-wise), I noticed something in the tree next to the water.

It was a Peregrine Falcon!!!

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
It is so awesome to see this beautiful bird of prey. It is a rare bird for me as I last saw this species almost two years ago.

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
The breast on this fellow seems relatively white (than the one saw almost two years ago) so I am assuming this is an adult.

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)

Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
Peregrine Falcon is well known as one of the species successfully brought back from the brisk of extinction in southern Canada and Midwestern US, as well as being the fastest raptor - diving at speeds up to 300 km/hr! Yep, definitely a good start this year.

Sunset. Time to go home.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...