2011/01/01

Last lifer of 2010 - Silver Pheasant

Quarter to 12am and 2011! Probably be 2011 by the time I finishes this post.

Originally I wanted to use my month bus pass for one final long birding day-trip (i.e. Stanley Park). In the end, I ended up going to Richmond Nature Park with my mother, and boy, did I glad I did - because I got lots of good photos as well as a final lifer of 2010!

Overall, 2010 has been a memorable year - working with and meeting new people, learning new things, absorbing new information, spending a lot time with wildlife in the outdoors and more. I hope 2011 can be just as exciting.

Now, some photos from Richmond Nature Park. First, some non-bird photos.

Lone Perfection
Just like the feeling this image provokes.

Frost
Frost on wooden fence. Wish I captured it better, but it was really neat to look at the frost close-up.

Icy Bokeh
Bokeh!

We arrived at the park right on time as the interpreter (?) just put out some food for the birds (for the day or will someone feed them again until the next work-day? My mother was worried.)

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) - I think.

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) - male.

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)

Spotted Towhees (Pipilo maculatus)

Spotted Towhees (Pipilo maculatus)

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) - my sharpest photos of juncos ever!

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

Now, for my last lifer of 2010! I first knew about the presence of this bird from this post at Rock Paper Lizard. However, I didn't see the bird the last time I was there, but with some luck from my mother today, we saw this magnificently white pheasant feeding just below the feeders!

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)

Silver Pheasant (Lophura nycthemera)
It is always fascinating to see a new bird, but the fact that someone abandoned this bird in the wild in an unknown habitat without any mate really saddens me - basically someone is just leaving this animal to die. Sigh.

Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
See you all in 2011!
.

4 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Great photos as usual. Perhaps that pheasant escaped - we had a regular pheasant on the lam here that managed a couple of years in the wild - amazingly. Icalways felt sorry for it that it had no mate.

Susannah Anderson said...

Great find! A lifer for your mother, too? Or is she counting?

And that's one fat squirrel, at the bottom! Cute!

Unknown said...

Nice job with your blog. You have a great skill with your camerand and use it well to capture the beauty around you. I found you through the Nature Blog Network and am glad I did!

Happy New Year!
John
www.bluelionphotos.blogspot.com

PSYL said...

Thank you all for the comments.

It is also a lifer for my mother but she's not counting.

Welcome to my blog, John.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...