2010/10/02

Worries away in RNP & Zoom!

Today is the first day of October. Five days from today, I will return back to my temp office job in downtown Vancouver for this fall season.

Lately, I have been in a slump. Work-searching in my field has been unproductive (as usual in the winter season) and grad-school searching has been unsuccessful - not many openings and with my just average grades in my undergrad years, I imagine professors are probably hesitant to take a student without any scholarship support. So my future is unclear as muck and it frustrates me everytime I think about it.

With my new monthly bus pass, I visited Richmond Nature Park today. And when I step on the ground that's not made of cement and surrounded by trees instead of buildings and people, all of the sudden, my worries are gone. I am in the moment of just enjoying birds chirping and watching the leaves changing their colors. And photographing - it just takes time away and makes it all worthwhile.

Watching the frenzies in the bird-feeding area. Many chickadees and squirrels on the feeders. The sparrows and juncos on the ground. These are probably my first decent shots of a Dark-eyed Junco because most of the times, they are too fast or too difficult to photograph.

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)

Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
Dark-eyed Junco

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) juvenile
I think this is a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow

House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)
House Finch through the leaves

Robin Taking Off
When on the trails, a robin was calling and when I got my camera ready, it took off at the right time!

Unidentified plant
Unknown flower - help please?

Douglas Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii)
A curious Douglas Squirrel

Green Frog (Rana clamitans)
A Green Frog by the small pool

And today is the day that I discovered zoom photography! Zoom!

Me Zoom!

Zoom!

Zoom!

Tonight, I was watching a Taiwanese drama and in it, one of the characters mentioned the spirit of surfing, which I thought could be applied to wildlife viewing (and photography) as well.

What is the spirit of wildlife viewing? It is not to see the perfect moment, but to wait for it. When we anticipate, stop and take all of our senses to absorb and process all stimulation and enjoy them and wait for that moment, it is at that moment that we truly enjoy ourself and nature. Nature has a special power that cheers you up and gives you courage, and that's why I love nature and wildlife viewing (and photography).
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...