2010/10/04

Applepalooza and bird-watching in Steveston

The last few times I biked along the dyke, I saw a few signs about an upcoming Applepalooza festival at the South Dyke Sharing Farm on Oct 3. So this morning, I decided to go and check it out; plus, it would be my first time at this sharing farm.

There were only four tents, a small lunch-selling table, a game tent, and live music playing.

I did not buy any apple trees, so I didn't stay for long. But there were still many pretty flowers to take pictures of.

Bright Red
Bright red!

Yellow bordered by brown
Probably my favorite flower in this farm. No idea what it is, but it's so beautiful.

Then I biked to Steveston to return some library books. Along the way, this White-crowned Sparrow offered some modeling for me.

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
You done yet?

Then I was checking out the shorebirds resting on the logs again.


Actually, when you look closer, they were not resting at all. They were busy chattering with each other and flying from log to log. So I was given some opportunities of photographing them in flight.


Long-billed Dowitchers (Limnodromus scolopaceus)

Greater Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca)

Long-billed Dowitchers and Greater Yellowlegs

The smaller bird is Long-billed Dowitcher (body length of 29-cm), and so the taller bird is/should be Greater Yellowlegs (body length of 36-cm) since Lesser Yellowlegs is 27-cm long (according to my bird field guide).

Afterwards, I went to the library and returned my books ("The Kite Runner" and another) and then headed to Garry Point where I sat on a bench and read my new borrowed book "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time".

And watching the boats go by. Good day, today.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...