2010/04/05

Seeing lots on bike ride today

This time next week, I will have arrived at Toronto Pearson International Airport trying to catch a little bit of sleep before heading to my work site on Monday morning. Can't wait!

Before then, it was time for a bike ride this afternoon, and as soon as I arrived at the dyke trail, I immediately spotted a Muskrat swimming in the ditch! I haven't seen them in such a long time.

Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus)
It was gone for a little while in the vegetation along the sides. But soon it appeared - eating the berry leaves - twice!

Then it swam towards my side on the ditch and grabbed some dandelions and backed into the water it went.

Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus)
Muskrat carrying flowers.

Then I spotted another Muskrat swimming towards it! The first one seemed startled when the second one approached it, but then they were in the grasses and I couldn't see where they went. So exciting and I haven't even really started the bike ride yet!

Cloudy again today.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Watched this heron for a while.

Then saw this Bald Eagle flying from the sea and carrying some materials back to its nest!

Swallows flying high today. Once again, it was very difficult to photograph them in flight, especially with a relatively short lens.

Mallard on a journey
A pair of Mallard was walking slowly in front of me.

Scenic View
Despite the overcast day, the North Shore Mountains were actually quite clear.

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
Photographing chickadees always proves to be a challenge.

Caught the chickadee in action without spreading its wings!

At Terra Nova Sharing Farm, I got off my bike and started to photograph the flowers and insects.

Ladybug

Ladybug
Pretty ladybug.

Unidentified Fly
An identified fly posing for me.

Using the manual focus on my E-620 for the first time. MF is much easier to do on E-620 than FZ-18.

Red flowers
Lots of flowers starting or are already to blossom.

Busy Bumbleebee
A bumblebee (I think) on pretty blue and pink flowers.

Swallows over Terra Nova Slough. It was positioned in the center before I took the photo, by the time I pressed the shutter, it was already almost gone.

Heading home.

A male Bufflehead seemed lost dappling in the ditch.

Almost home.

2 comments:

Hugh Griffith said...

It's nice to see that somebody eats those nasty blackberries.

I hope you'll be able to keep posting from Ontario.

PSYL said...

Yeah, those blackberries are back again this Spring.

I hope so too, although I won't have Internet, electricity (we have a generator), and hot water (just an above-ground water line) from the housing provided. Hopefully, I will use my days-off wisely and able to make a post or two while over there, as well as check some e-mails and upload some photos. My goal? Maybe 2 posts/month.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...