2010/02/19

Bald Eagle watching...or vice versa

This morning, my mother and I went to Richmond centre to take care of some things (get a haircut, grocery shopping, etc).

In the afternoon, I went to the dyke again. I didn't saw too many wildlife today, but I did came across the Bald Eagle pair when I was heading home.

Pair out at the same time.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
The more visible one.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
The less visible one.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
If looks can kill...

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Such beautiful birds...

Another point-of-view of the pair. I wonder who's the male/female?

According to this site, there is a book titled "The Bald Eagle" by Mark V. Stalmaster, and in this book there is a formula that helps to determine the sex of the bird.

"Sex = (bill depth x 0.392) + (hallux length x 0.340) -27.694 (measurements in millimeters). If the answer is positive, the eagle is a female. If the answer is negative, the eagle is a male."

Good tip, although I wish it works without catching and handling these powerful raptors.

365 days ago (2009-02-18) ... saw coyotes for the first time this day last year. I haven't seen them for quite a while. I hope they are still around.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...