2010/01/19

Calm after the windstorm & Bike ride to the dyke

Last night's windstorm caused quite a damage throughout the coast, including right outside our apartment where a tree was blown down. Thank goodness it fell on the side without any buildings.

I will miss this big old tree in front of our yard.

The strong wind blew away all the clouds and it was a beautiful afternoon - excellent time for a bike ride.

Along the ditch, the Mallards were swimming and preening and enjoying the nice weather.

Mallards (Anas platyrhynchos)

Female Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

Female Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
Quickest way to dry the feathers.

Continuing with the bike ride, I spotted this Song Sparrow, who situated itself in a thorny position.

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)
Excellent defense - it didn't even bother to fly away as I inch closer for a better focus through all the branches knowing it is safe.

In the Terra Nova Share Farm, I spotted several hawks and harriers and they were all quickly chased by crows dominating the area.

Unknown Accipiter

Then being chased further away from me.

In Terra Nova Slough, I observed my first pair of Northern Shovelers (Anas clypeata) of the year!

Northern Shovelers (Anas clypeata)

Using my TCON-lens, I was able to get some closer pictures (than ever before)!

Female Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Female

Male Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Male. Love its glossy green head and that out-of-this-world bill!

According to All About Birds, "Northern Shoveler pairs are monogamous, and remain together longer than pairs of other dabbling duck species." Cool fact!

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
Photographed this Great Blue Heron and its reflection as I biked home.

The Actual Sunset.

Vintage Sunset (Polariod version)
Transforming the sunset photo into a Polaroid - using the free Poladroid (Polaroid Image Maker). I like it - very vintage-like!
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...