2009/12/07

Photographic Sunday: Birds Chilling Out

Another cold day but who cares! I love the sunshine and the blue sky!

Another perfect view.

Today, I decided to head in a different direction from yesterday and biked towards Steveston. Soon enough, I spotted a Northern Harrier resting on a log!

It was so far away, but thankfully I brought my TCON-lens with me today.

The following photos were all taken with my TCON-lens. I got some of my best shots of the resting harrier today. So happy!

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
I spent at least ten to fifteen minutes freezing my fingers off but also had a great time photographing this bird. I guess the temperature was too cold for them to do any unnecessary flying.

The harrier then flew off and I continued southward. Near Steveston Farm, the birds were either eating or resting. One of the non-duck birds was a Wilson's Snipe.

Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata)
Also another great shot taken with the TCON.

While I was taking photos of the birds in the puddle, a little chirp drew my attention and a Song Sparrow just rested near me and not moving. This, of course, deserves more images as well.

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)
Then the sparrow flew off and stopped on a cattail to give me a better pose!

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)

Song Sparrow (Melospiza Melodia)
Thanks!

After the Song Sparrow moved on, I returned back to the snipe and saw it was resting.

Sleepy Snipe

But then four Killdeers flew above me and stopped in the ditch too.

3 of the 4.

Then I realized there were more snipes that I originally thought.

More snipes poking its long bill deep down into the mud for food.

The cold temperature has frozen parts of the ditch, and I saw this juvenile Great Blue Heron looking very weary and cold standing on a ice-frozen log.

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
I feel your coldness too.

Than I arrived at Steveston, the first time I have been back since my trip away from Canada.

Mount Baker in the distance. What's that red thing?

Snow Geese taking off - apparently spooked by something.

A closer look at the red thing. No plaque, no descriptions, no anything. [Edit: This is Wind Waves, or Olas de Viento, by Yvonne Domenge. More information here.]

Then it was just a nice relaxing time to just chill out and enjoy the sunset.

Sunset

Sunset

Sunset

Sunset

When returning home, a Northern Harrier was trying to attack something. Apparently it was a Belted Kingfisher (near Francis Road entrance part of the trail), and it escaped without too much trouble.

A final look at the kingfisher before it went away (while I was looking at the camera).

What a great birding Sunday!
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...