2009/08/05

Outdoor work, yay!

After not doing any kind of field work in awhile, I am beginning to miss the greenaries, the sun, and the work-out of being in a natural sauna. Our research lab also has a project studying the relationship between noise and bird abundance, so today I woke up extra early to tag along the experiment inside TBG. I am not a part of this project, but I just enjoy being outdoors, especially in the morning when there're fewer people and more urban wildlife to be seen.

My co-workers working hard recording the noise levels and observing birds.

Meanwhile, I was just wondering around photographing anything I saw interesting.

Delicate Barringtonia racemosa in TBG
Barringtonia racemosa flowers on the ground.

Align CenterChinese Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis) - 白頭翁
A juvenile Chinese Bulbul still lacking the white crown.

An interesting-lookinh Trema orientalis (L.) Blume tree. This species is quite useful in that the trunk can be built into oars and canoes, or made into ropes, and the leaves can become food for herbivores.

Chilades pandava peripatria - 東陞蘇鐵小灰蝶
A beautiful Chilades pandava peripatria

Green Pond Frog (Rana plancyi) - 金線蛙
Green Pond Frog - a common but suitable name.

Blossoming Water Lilly
Water Lily

Gray Treepie is a common bird in TBG. But its behaviour of hiding underneath canopies makes them very difficult to photograph (I remember my first time seeing them almost three months ago). Today, a young Treepie caught something and flew right above us to enjoy its meal.

Gray Treepie (Dendrocitta formosae formosae) enjoying an insect larvae or something.

Gray Treepie (Dendrocitta formosae) - 樹鵲Align CenterHere's a site with some information on this interesting Corvids.

Beautiful Plumeria rubra on green
Colorful Plumeria rubra flower lying on Giant Elephant's Ear (Colocasia gigantea)

As the research came to an end, an all-black feline walked right in front of me. At first I thought it was a panther. Given it a second look, I realized it is a handsome stray black cat.


Handsome Black Cat in TBG
Black cat or not, I think today was a pretty lucky day for me.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...