2009/07/13

Natural Beauties

In the morning, while walking across the botanical garden to get to work, a Black-crowned Night Heron was resting.

Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax) - 夜鷺

For the rest of the morning, I spent my time in the office sorting data and typing up reports. Then in the afternoon, it was my shift to observe the barbets. This is the same nest as the one from last week, where we captured and leg-banded the parents and the nestlings were hungry during then.

Like last week, the nestlings were still hungry.

Align CenterBut this time, the father (with the pink and red bands on the right) was available to provide them with food. This time it is a cicada.
Ever since the leg-banding, the mother was rarely seen. So all the duties are performed by father now.

It drizzled a little bit in the afternoon, so a rare rainbow in Taipei City was observed!

Muller's Barbet (Megalaima nuchalis) - 五色鳥
Father barbet taking a rest.

A particular bird that searched for by photographers (and me) was the White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus). I kept hearing news about their appearances in the garden, but I have never come across them before. Finally, near the end of my shift, someone informed me about their appearance and so I was able to capture some images of this lifer! So beautiful-looking.

White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus) - 白腹秧雞

White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus) - 白腹秧雞

Back in the office, a co-worker had offered a home for this escaped Smooth Green Snake (Cyclophiops major) from a animal hospital. Is itn't a beauty!

Smooth Green Snake (Cyclophiops major) - 青蛇
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...