2009/05/08

Missed pheasant, but saw Blue-winged Teal

A very nice day today. Blue sky appeared since noon and continued to have stayed.

In the Terra Nova Slough, a pair of Blue-winged Teals (Anas discors) were spotted. A bird lifer for me! Such an interesting duck with the white crescent mark on the male's face. My guide book mentioned that the birds seen here are on their migration route to the Interior breeding grounds.

The blue part on the wings is not very evident. Hugh (of Rock Paper Lizard) wrote a very interesting post about the three species of teals that can be found in our province.

While I was looking at hummingbirds and trying to photograph them, a bird was flushed out by me from whatever it was hiding. It flew towards the marsh (I was on the other side of the ditch) and it was gone. It had a long tail and my initial instinct was that it is a Ring-necked Pheasant - especially when I came across a dog walker yesterday who mentioned to me about seeing a male pheasant running around in Terra Nova lately. I immediately pedaled to the other side, but it was already hiding out of sight. Darn, it would have been a lifer for me as well. How I wish I see it just once before I leave Richmond for the summer.

This Painted Lady landed right on the trail trying to get some minerals (I guess), but it wasn't very smart as there were walkers and bikers passing by - none of them (appreciative enough of nature) are curious at what I was looking at on the ground. Thankfully, a bike missed it (narrowly) and sending it fluttering towards the field.

One of the ten Gadwalls (five pairs) that I saw today.

No crows harassing the Bald Eagle today (although I did see a crow and a gull ganging up on a hawk in flight). So it was just relaxing and enjoying the sunshine.

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Until someone struck a golf ball that sounded like a gun shot, and the eagle took off after that.

Tomorrow is International Migratory Bird Day, and on a sadder note about the state of our avian friends and their (and our) world - read this article "Save the birds? Save their habitat" and feel free to post your comments on that article.
.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...