2009/04/23

Earth Day & White-crowned Sparrow

Personally, I am not a big fan of celebrations like this. It's not because I dislike Earth, in fact you couldn't be more wrong from that. I just think it's ridiculous for people to get all excited and started paying attention to Mother Earth for just one day out of 365 days in a year. If you love Earth, then you do it 24/7, everywhere, and everytime (or at least try to), whether it be recycling, taking public transportation, biking, walking, donating to conservation charities, and so forth.

Now that I got rid of how I feel about today, on to today's outing. Today was chilly. I got tricked by the sunshine and only wore two layers of shirts, and I was freezing by the end of the bike ride. Stupid me.

View of Terra Nova
Don't be fooled for the beautiful weather.

The Great Horned Owl on another tree this time. I came by a lady photographer, and she said that a Great Gray Owl(s) was (were) observed by the managers of the community garden in the same vicinity. I'll have to keep a sharper eye out next time. Imagine that, a Great Gray Owl! Wow!

Not much wildlife was observed afterwards. I saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler, many American Robins, Swallows, a Killdeer, and many White-crowned Sparrows (as photographed below). I think I also saw (and heard) Orange-crowned Warblers. But sadly, I don't have a picture proof. Maybe next time.

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) - identified by its clear grey breast and black-and-white striped crown. This pretty bird sat patiently for me to capture these detailed images. Thank you, my (interspecies) sibling of the same Mother Earth.
.

4 comments:

Steve Berardi said...

I agree with you on the Earth Day thing.. but, at least it gives us one day a year where the Earth actually gets in a few headlines.

Chris said...

Hi,
Very nice post, I love the two last shots where the bird is in its environment, real nature pictures!

Cicero Sings said...

I got up, saw the sun shine, put on shorts ... then stepped outside ... brrrr. This morning is even colder -5.

I'm with you about earth day!

Our back yard is popping with White Crowns.

PSYL said...

Very true, Steve. I just wish it stays consistent throughout the year.

Thank you Chris, nothing better (and more challenging) than taking photos at a natural surrounding.

CS - -5!? Wow, have the snow completely melt yet where you live?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...