2009/03/04

Photographic post: Northern Harrier, funky Towhee, and the life under wood debris

A Northern Harrier was observed several times today circling around fields and even residential areas. It finally landed in grassy patch in front of me. I do not think it made any successful catch though. It's a very beautiful bird with the unique-looking face.

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
This is either a female or a juvenile since they are both brown. But juveniles are rusty beneath, which I still can't tell from these pictures.

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
It sort of looks like a lion's face on a hawk's body, almost the opposite of an Egyptian Sphinx.

Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus)
Caught no meal, it took off after a few minutes.

Let's play a game. Guess who is(are) not the same as others.

While looking around, I saw this bird raised its tail feather high above its head. It then turned around and mooned me!

Spotted Towhee (Pipilo maculatus)
Turns out to be a Spotted Towhee with a funky hairstyle.

Life Under Wood Debris
I gently flipped over a fallen tree branch, and this was what I saw. Took a few pictures, then I put it back carefully. Life is still abundant in the dark and moist underground. Anyone know what kind of centipede and snail they are?
.

2 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

It looks like your snail has a lighter band at the lip; that would probably make it a grove snail, Cepaea nemoralis.

About a year ago, I wrote a blog post on the problems of identifying local snails; And would you call it a swarm of snails?. It might be helpful.

PSYL said...

Thank you very much for your comment, Wanderin' Weeta. Your post and the links are very helpful. I will definitely remember that when I find snails again.

And yes, it does look like a Grove Snail given their huge variation in shell coloration and pattern.

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...