2009/02/16

Wonderful birding Sunday

Well, today was definitely beautiful for an exciting day of birding. Lots of pictures today, so let's get started!

Birding began before I even got to the dyke. This Northern Flicker was on top of a telephone pole and calling out its loud klee-yer!! That certainly got my attention.

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus)
Remember two days ago when I mentioned that a saw an American Bittern in flight but wasn't quick enough to photograph it? Well, I made up for it by spotting this masterful bittern among the dead cattails. It even swayed back and forth as the wind blow across the marsh. Neat!

Lots of people on the dyke today, but I think I was the only one saw it, and that made me feel kind of special.

My pretty good attempt of photographing a bird in flight, even if it's just a large heron flying slowly.

We know you're photographing us.

Came across this beautiful pair Hooded Merganser. They weren't as shy as before and so I got some pretty good shots.

These bullish Red-winged Blackbirds took over the entire birdhouse and the Chickadees couldn't even in on the action. That was when I stepped in. When I got closer, the Blackbirds back off while the Chickadees made a quick grab and dash. But I couldn't be there the whole time, so I guess things will return back the way it is as I leave.

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
Don't give up, you pretty birds. My first decent photograph of a Black-capped Chickadee.

My first decent photograph of a Song Sparrow (or so I think).

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
I definitely saw many Great Blue Herons today. Six individuals in total I think.

The weather today is great. Blue sky with little or no clouds at all.

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
Good weather gives me good mood. Even the common Mallards are kind of cute today.

Northern Harrier, colored orange by the setting sun.

Saw Mr. Northern Pintail today with Green-winged Teals (and Mallard, not in this photo).

Such a handsome fellow. I don't believe I ever met Mrs. Northern Pintail. Although I doubt I can recognize her without the male's elaborate plumage.

The Sun is already over the Gulf Islands.

And the Bald Eagles are heading back to their nest. This juvenile was perching on the branch before it took off when I was trying to photograph it.

That's where it ended up.

Then a sibling arrives (along with an adult Bald Eagle on the other side of the tree).

This lonely adult was on another tree (with the nest) before it flew away and joined the other three eagles.

Sunset
What a wonderful Sunday. I hope my upcoming week will be just as good!
.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

A windfall of a day! I've never seen a bittern ... I'll have to keep my eyes open when down at the coast.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...